Nina Dobrev (b. Nikolina Konstantinova Dobreva) on January 9, 1989 in Sofia, Bulgaria is a Bulgarian actress, model and singer. She moved to Canada at the age of two. She is fluent in English, Bulgarian, and French. Nina portrayed teen mother Mia Jones on Degrassi: The Next Generation.
Before Degrassi, Nina starred in the TV movies My Daughter's Secret and Never Cry Werewolf, and made guest appearances on The Border and Eleventh Hour. She also appeared in the 2009 movie, Chloe. In 2011, she appeared in The Roommate.
Nina's film, Fugitive Pieces, directed by Jeremy Podeswa, opened the 2007 Toronto International Film Festival. Also in 2007, she was in the Lifetime Original Movie Too Young to Marry as Jessica. In 2008, she was cast as Ally in The American Mall In 2009, she was cast in a dual role as Elena Gilbert and Katherine Pierce in the CW hit drama The Vampire Diaries, which has since ended. (Dobrev left the show after its sixth season to move on with her acting career). Nina is a major fan of the Harry Potter series, and has read all the books. She has also been on Mookie's Law, as Rosabella alongside with Natty Zavitz. In 2012, she portrayed Candace Kelmeckis in Perks of Being a Wallflower.
- She was born in Bulgaria, but moved to Canada when she was 2, then moved to the U.S.
- She speaks Bulgarian, French, and English.
- For her role as Bella in the World War II drama Fugitive Pieces, Nina had to learn Yiddish Phonetically
- In February 2010, Nina started dating her Vampire Diaries co-star, Ian Somerhalder; who played Damon Salvatore, but broke it off in May 2013.
- She shares 3 cats (Jama-Lynx, Moke and Dennis) with Ian Somerhalder.
- Her best friend is Julianne Hough. She's also great friends with Paul Wesley, Derek Hough, Kat Graham, Candice Accola, Matt Davis, Claire Holt, Shannon Kook-Chun, Paula Brancati, Jake Epstein, Miriam McDonald, Cassie Steele, Shenae Grimes, Steven R. McQueen, and more of the cast of The Vampire Diaries.
- She's a major fan of the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.
- She's a huge fan of Twilight, and even auditioned for the role of Bella Swan, before landing the role of Elena Gilbert.
- She's also a fan of True Blood.
- Nina is a Capricorn.
- Nina is named after her grandmother.
- She was good friends with the late Cory Monteith from Glee, and paid a tribute to his death.